IEEE International Conference on Multimedia & Expo (ICME) is a multimedia conference which is sponsored by four IEEE societies since 2000. It serves as a forum to promote the exchange of the latest advances in multimedia technologies, systems, and applications from both the research and development perspectives of the circuits and systems, communications, computer, and signal processing communities. An Exposition of multimedia products, animations and industries will be held in conjunction with the conference. The theme of the 2017 conference will be “The New Media Experience”, enabling next generation 3D/AR/VR experiences and applications, based on which various sessions and events, in particular a Grand Challenge, will be organized.
We are inviting and highly encouraging parties interested in organizing and executing a challenge on a particular technical topic to submit their proposal, if possible including
- General description of the technical topic, its relevance and importance for future technical developments in research or industry;
- Preliminary description of
- Data sets;
- Evaluation criteria and metrics;
- (Computing) Infrastructure and manpower needed for an adequate evaluation and how this can be provided in collaboration with the ICME 17.
- Minimum requirements for participation (if any)
- Preliminary schedule for Grand Challenge participants outlining
- Date for expression of interest
- Submission deadline
- Evaluation start date and end date
- Notification of acceptance (if any)
- Expected number of submissions based on e.g. previous Grand Challenge experiences, number of publications in the previous two years or ongoing international standardization activities.
- Planned activities during the ICME 2017, for example
- Award ceremony
- Demonstration booth showcasing the Grand Challenge submissions for all conference attendees
- Audience award in addition to Committee award
- Planned awards, for example
- Honorary awards
- Sponsored award money
- Internships for Student contributors
Of particular value are proposed challenges where submissions include software to verify results and a detailed technical description of the submission.
This detailed technical description will undergo the regular review process of the ICME 2017 conference. One of the three paper reviewers will be a challenge organizer to ensure the appropriate awareness and context. If the submitted detailed technical description does not meet the academic expectations of the ICME 2017 it can’t be published in the ICME 2017 proceedings. However, it will not be excluded from the Grand Challenge and winning the Challenge is still possible!
The challenge organizers are encouraged to write an overview paper to share the outcome and insights gained by their challenge with the research community to to submit it to IEEE Trans. on Multimedia for consideration.
No specific document template is necessary to propose a challenge.
Institut für Informationsverarbeitung, Leibniz Universität Hannover, will provide cloud storage for the data accompanying the challenges.
|Submit proposals to:||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Grand Challenge Proposals Submission:||November 15, 2016|
|Notification of Grand Challenge Acceptance:||December 15, 2016|